If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (610) 948-2141

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What To Do When Water Gets Into Light Fixtures

11/23/2021 (Permalink)

Circuit board connection Electrical system in cabinet building system. It is important that a homeowner take measures to shut off the power, prevent water damage from worsening, and limit damage to the ceiling.

When Water Gets Into Light Fixtures, What Should You Do?

A burst pipe in the ceiling or a roof leak can lead to water in light fixtures. It is important that a homeowner take measures to shut off the power, prevent water damage from worsening, and limit damage to the ceiling. Follow these guidelines for handling electrical and structural risks.

Turn Off the Power.

The risk of shock increases when electrical lights are exposed to water. A homeowner should:

  • Avoid touching the light switch.
  • Shut off power at a breaker box.
  • Use a voltage tester on dry sources.

The shock risk diminishes as soon as the power is out. It is still a good idea to leave water in light fixtures alone and call an licensed electrician.

Stop the Leak.


The risk of ceiling damage will persist until the source of the leak is resolved. Every trace of excess water should also be removed. Reduce the risk of a ceiling collapse by:

  • Shutting off the water in the event of a pipe leak.
  • Placing a container under a ceiling bulge.
  • Piercing the bulge to drain pooled water.


These damage mitigation measures may preserve a ceiling and interior. It is still a good idea to contact water damage cleanup and restoration professionals to eliminate moisture and prevent secondary issues, such as mold.

Call an Electrician.

An electrician can safely remove water from light fixtures. There are several reasons to rely on a professional:

  • Water contains conductive particles.
  • Corrosion can quickly form on internal wiring and components.
  • Lights exposed to water may short circuit.


All of these factors may increase the fire risk. It is advisable to rely on experts to minimize electrical risks and water damage.

As soon as a homeowner notices water in light fixtures, it is a good idea to call an electrician. A water damage restoration service can also repair ceiling damage at a residence in Kimberton, PA.

Other News

View Recent Posts